First Presbyterian Church, 1101 East Ash Street, will celebrate its 160 years of serving God and sharing the love of Christ in this community and the world on February 15 at an 11:00amhomecoming service.
Founded in 1855 by 7 women and 2 men, the church built its first house of worship at the corner of Ash and James Streets, where they worshiped for almost a century before moving to the present location. The old church is on the registry of historic sites and is now owned by the Wayne County Historical Association.
The celebration will reflect God's work past and future with recognition of older members and participation by the youth and children. Rev. Leigh Gillis will preach, and several former ministers and their wives will attend including Dr. David Jenkins and Suzanne, Dr. Harriss Ricks and Wendy, and Dr. William Hufham and Sara. The Scottish heritage and the Reformed Tradition of the Presbyterian Church will be reflected in bagpipes, tartans, and kilts. Special guests will be members of the Scottish Heritage Society.
All former members, family members, and friends of First Presbyterian are invited to worship at 11:00 and to stay for lunch.
Visitors are welcome at this and every service. The normal FPC schedule will resume the following Sunday: 9:00 Wake Up and Worship in the Activity Center, 10:00 Fellowship in McChesney Hall and Sunday School classes for all ages, 11:00 Traditional Worship in the Sanctuary.